Thursday, September 25, 2008

I ask people who are eligible to vote...to vote!

I feel that it is probably best for me to shut up about the presidential race at this point. Call it running away if you want, I know there are people out there that gladly will say that about me. Call it political burn-out. Call it whatever you like. That's fine. I have been put down quite a few times for mentioning the mere idea of voting for a 3rd-party candidate. I've been told the vote is a throwaway and that the idea of voting for a 3rd-party candidate is once again, "a vote that doesn't matter", that you should only vote for someone that has a chance of being elected, and that I am an idealist, a dreamer, blah, blah, blah. Okay. I disagree with that entirely but people are entitled to their opinion. And I am kind of tired of getting into arguments and making enemies, not friends. I'm not going to tell you that you have to vote for Bob Barr or Ralph Nader or any other available candidate.

The point is this, I know time is often short in these days for people, even though we often somehow find time for tv, email, net surfing, texting, etc. But I simply encourage everyone out there to research the candidates that are running (here is a nice non-political site on issues, voting records, etc. http://www.ontheissues.org/default.htm), and make the choice you feel is best for you. You do not have to vote for McCain or Obama regardless of what people tell you. No vote that you will cast is a "throwaway". However, if you feel that they would be the best candidate for you after you have looked them over, then please vote for them. Don't take the privilege of voting for granted.

No comments: