Monday, September 22, 2008

I know...

I should quit bitching. About some things. Probably a lot of things. But I can't. I'm not even sure that it is fun anymore. A few random thoughts though...

Most horror movies are awful now. And its not just because they lack plot and suspense, its because they are PG-13. And somehow this is supposed to make us believe that they are more suspenseful, than those just relying on gore for that "R". Wrong. Simply making your movie fit into the framework of a PG-13 rating, does not make it scary. And then releasing it to dvd as "Unrated" while providing an additional 10 seconds of footage not seen in theatres? That really doesn't cut it either. After watching the "Unrated" version of "Prom Night" the other day on dvd, I am completely in the dark as to how something this bloody horrible can gross over $40 million. I am speechless.

The Reds and Bengals will get better. No. They. Won't. I'll give the Bengals credit for their effort against the Giants yesterday. I'll give Carson and Marvin credit for showing no comprehension of time management at the end of the 4th quarter, and not allowing themselves a shot at the endzone. I won't blame Carson for calling heads on the coin toss before OT. But seriously, the Bengals are 0-3, and while it looks like they can take care of the anemic Browns, from the looks of their schedule a 4-12 record for the season is very, very possible. And will the Brown family do anything to change this in the future. You're kidding right? Which brings us to the Reds. Hard to believe they swept the World Series in '90. The Reds have been consistently awful, while stopping just short of worse than dog shit. Meaning the fans, the bloggers, etc. will keep telling you that with just this and this change they can make the playoffs next year. No. They. Can't. The Reds have very little in the way of offense. The pitching is decent enough, as long as Dusty Baker (who should be fired at the end of this year but won't be) doesn't complete destroy the arms of Volquez, Cueto, and Harang. I give him points for effort though, he definitely has tried to destroy all 3 of them this year. With Dunn and Griffey gone, I can hope for a decent middle reliever under the age of 40, and some offense, but I doubt it. It'll be the same next years, avoid the 100 losses comfortably, but still win no more than 75.

As for politics...sigh, I hate it. I think if I was able to be objective and look at it simply as poly-sci, I would probably find it quite amazing. Or perhaps that more of sociology, or both. Why people do the things they do, vote for who they do, and why the parties run the shows they do. But for now, I am mostly disgusted. I don't trust either of the two major party candidates or their running mates. And in turn, will vote 3rd-party once again. Even though I have been told that my vote doesn't matter. I believe those who say that are misinformed. Really, if you are holding your nose while you push the ballot, namely "defensive voting" - as stated here http://www.ontheissues.org/askme/split_vote.htm, isn't that really the best way to waste your vote?

Lastly, Jeremy Schoolfield has very, very few original thoughts or ideas about bands or music. But anyone reading this either doesn't know who he is (you're lucky) or knows that I'm right anyway.

Peace.

No comments: