Friday, December 5, 2008

As the puppies leave...

Puppies are weird. People have different reactions to them. Granted some people are dog people, and some are cat people. Some don’t like animals at all. And if you are male, make sure nobody knows that you are too much of an animal person, cause then that would make you gay or a serial killer. I think I can accept that from other people, lol.

I don’t want to call this a tribute or anything…perhaps a rumination. Erica Anderson-Senter introduced me some 6 weeks ago to the Shiba Inu Puppy Cam (http://www.ustream.tv/channel/shiba-inu-puppy-cam). I’ll just say it’s been a blessing. And for someone whose life is in the shitter and likes to bitch, that’s saying something.

I’m not sure how many people were familiar with the Shiba Inu breed before the web explosion of the puppy cam (I have a feeling not that many). Adult Shiba’s tend to come across as aloof and selfish. Of course it varies, as it does with all dogs. You will never get a Shiba confused with a Golden Retriever or a Lab for personality. However, if they are properly raised, trained and socialized while growing up, chances are they will be a pretty cool dog, loyal to it’s owner. My favorite? The female “runt” of the litter, Ayumi, now minus her yellow collar.

I’m not sure exactly why other people are watching. I get some ideas with the comments that are posted on the cam site. For me, it is probably the simplicity of puppy and/or dog life. That and the love, energy and innocence that they exude on a non-stop basis. Things I see glaringly absent from my own for a long time.

So the time has come for a few of the pups to leave for their new homes. I imagine that quite a few viewers will be sad this weekend. I know I will be. And if you’re watching are honest with yourself, you will be too. Just some thoughts. Thanks again Erica, for helping forget things for a while.

No comments: